Anxiety disorders form a cluster of psychological ailments marked by an overwhelming sense of fear, unease, or apprehension. The impact of anxiety can vary from mild to severe, disrupting a person’s capacity to carry out their everyday activities. Among the recognized types of anxiety disorders are generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, and specific phobias.
The symptoms of anxiety disorders vary depending on the person and their specific type of anxiety disorder, but common symptoms include:
- Constant and overwhelming apprehension or dread concerning routine situations or occurrences.
- Avoidance of specific situations, circumstances or locations
- Struggles with managing worry or fear
- Physical symptoms including an accelerated heartbeat, perspiration, tremors, and respiratory distress
- Experiencing unease, restlessness, or irritability
- Fatigue or difficulty sleeping
- Difficulty maintaining focus or concentration on tasks.